Located in Ripponlea, Melbourne Quat Quatta is one of Melbourne’s finest wedding venues. It is simply superb in all aspects and is a rather unique offering among the many venues this great city has to offer.
Click here to read about Pat & Ashlee’s wedding I recently shot there.
There are plenty of articles about the venue itself so I wanted to go into some detail about the myriad of different opportunities there are around Quat Quatta for breathtaking wedding photography, Rain, hail or sunshine!
Well let’s discard the hail bit!
A couple of tips when it comes to wedding photography.
When looking for wedding photography inspiration there are a couple of secrets I need to let you in on.
- You are seeing the best of the best on Instagram, not the 60 frames the photographer took to achieve that one amazing image you see. 60 frames obviously takes a lot more time that one simple photo so keep this in mind.
- When it comes to wedding photography a park is a park and a beach is a beach. A green background; flowers in your photos or a beach scene will basically look the same no matter which park / beach you end up going to.
- Most B&G’s want photos in a couple of different locations which is great. Taking the above into account, there is no point going to two different parks.
- You want contrast – beach and park; pier and park; old house and park. I think you get the drift.
Quat Quatta itself is an incredibly photogenic Victorian Mansion meticulously presented in a seamless blend of classic & contemporary. Dramatic dining room; romantic and intimate courtyard; bar lounge and luxurious bridal retreat.
Brighton Bathing Boxes
The iconic Brighton bathing boxes are a bit of a favourite for B&G’s. If it tickles your fancy its worth considering a few things.
Its only 5.3km / 12 mins drive from Quat Quatta.
- If getting married in summer and it’s likely to be a hot day, be prepared to be photographed with a lot of people watching / in your photos. You are not going to have the beach to yourself unless the weather is ho hum.
- Getting a park for that limousine or bridal cars will require extra time.
Obviously normal beach style photos can be shot in this location too.
In terms of light, the lower the sun is to the horizon the better. So that means as late in the day as possible.
As you can see in this photo, the sun was still very high so it means us photographers have to be very careful about unwanted shadows on faces and people squinting into the sun.
St Kilda Botanical Gardens
I have shot weddings on many different occasions here and it is a ripper. So many different little spots to work with.
Really nice winding paths; hedges; spectacular rose garden; deciduous trees that are beautiful colours in autumn; rotundas and walk ways.
In terms of light, it is much more forgiving during harsh, bright sunlight.
Distance – 1.6km / 4 mins drive
St Kilda Botanical Gardens Wedding
Ormond Rd Hill
A rather unique hill on the foreshore overlooking Port Phillip Bay and the city.
It provides for awesome photography in all conditions but does excel for sunsets or particularly moody / cloud / storm backdrops.
Distance – 2.4km / 8 min drive
Catani Gardens St Kilda
This is another great spot for wedding photography.
Lots of nice winding paths for walking shots. The rows of palm trees also make for great backgrounds. The beach is obviously right there as well.
Distance – 4km / 10 mins